10 Tips for Musicians & Artists During Quarantine
As we continue through quarantine together we collected these 10 tips for you, our musician and artist friends.
What did we miss? Share with us on social media using #YouthonRecord
- Try to stick to a schedule and strive for 8 hours of sleep each night
I know it is easier said than done. Give it a try and be sure to give yourself grace. Do you find yourself endless scrolling on your phone? Try following this guide: How to Configure Your iPhone to Work for You, Not Against You.
- Schedule a daily reminder to practice creativity (read, write, practice, play, etc.)
Put it on the calendar or set a reminder on your phone. If you’re not feeling it, try to commit to just 5-10 min then see how you feel. Starting is often the hardest part.
Try using Milanote as your free, digital creative mood board.
- Attend a Youth on Record summer program
Join us for Open Lab or FEMpowered (virtual and in-person)! Register here.
- Audit your social media profiles
Social media is an incredible opportunity to connect with your friends and community. Try following these steps to reflect on where social media fits best for you:
- Make a list of all the social media platforms you use
- Mark which social media platforms you enjoy the most
- Evaluate which social media platforms make sense for you and your art
- Focus on a few key platforms and refresh your profile, including your profile photo, banner photo, about description, etc.
- Add a reminder on your calendar to refresh your profile every 3-6 months
- Create a content calendar outline for the next 1-4 weeks
You could print out a calendar or type it into your digital calendar. The goal is to outline a theme for a daily social post. Here are some examples:
- Monday: #MusicMonday or #MondayMotivation
- Tuesday: #TuesdayTunes or #TuesdayThoughts
- Wednesday: “Share the Love” (share a friend or family’s post)
- Thursday: #tbt!
- Friday: #FridayVibes or #FridayFun
- Saturday: #SaturdayShoutOUt (show some love for a friend or artist and tag them)
- Sunday: #SundayRead or #SelfcareSunday
Would you prefer a break from social media? On your phone, you can limit app usage in the settings. On a computer, try using the News Feed Eradicator for Facebook Chrome plugin.
- Create the content for your content calendar
Once you have the daily theme outline, the next step is to actually create the content.
Creating the content in advance allows you to plan each post early so you don’t need to do it every day. Consistency is key for you to connect with your community on social media.
FREE tools for content creation:
- Hypeddit - Promote & Share Your Music
- Add to Calendar Button & Link (get those live streams on the calendar!)
- Randomly call or Facetime a friend or family member
This was a wonderful suggestion from YOR Partner Artist, Edwina Maben, and it works beautifully. Until we can randomly bump into each other in person, you can randomly call or Facetime someone to check-in. This is a great energy booster.
- Build / launch your own email list
It is never too late or too early to start building your own email list. Here’s a guide: How To Grow Your Email List Fast (1,000 Subscribers In 30 Days)
- Take a walk outside
It sounds simple but a walk outside can have a profound impact on your energy, mood, and focus. Even if it’s only 5 minutes.
- Practice self-care
We saved the best for last. You must make time to live your life if you want to make music and art that expresses and reflects life experiences.